How to Switch from Yahoo! Mail to Gmail?
If you are looking to switch from your Yahoo Mail account to Gmail but still wish to have access to all your emails and contacts you can do so by backing up your Yahoo Mail data by following the step-by- instructions provided below.
Steps to Back up Email, Contacts, and Calendar in Yahoo Mail
To Back up Email and Contacts
NOTE: Yahoo Mail doesn’t offer a feature to export emails. In such case, following are the options available to back up all Yahoo Mail emails.
1.) Backup Yahoo Mail to Gmail
- Sign in to your Gmail account and go to the Gear icon > Settings > Accounts and Imports
- Next, under Accounts and Imports, select Import mail and contacts
- Then go to Import mail and contacts option, select Import from another address
- Enter your Yahoo Mail address in the text box and hit Continue.
- Then again click Continue sign into your Yahoo Mail account when a new window appears on your screen.
- When prompted, you will need to allow the Gmail to access your Yahoo Mail account.
- After that, close the window and go back to your Gmail account.
- Now, select options like Import contacts, Import mail and/or Import new mail for next 30 days.
- Then, hit the Start import
- Click OK button when the importing process gets
Once you have imported emails from your Yahoo Mail account to Gmail, you can follow these steps to download Yahoo emails from your Gmail account to the hard drive.
To Back Up Emails Only
2.) Forward the Email(s) to another Email Address
Alternatively, you can backup Yahoo Mail email(s) by forwarding them to another email address.
- In your Yahoo Mail account, open the email you want to backup.
- Scroll down to find options such as – Reply, Reply to All, Forward and More.
- Then click on the Forward You will be directed to the email forwarding page.
- On this page, click the text box next to the “To” option. Enter the email address to which you want to forward the email.
- Next, click on the Send Your email will be backed up safely on your other email address.
3.) Print a Hard Copy
- Log into your Yahoo Mail account and open the email for which you wish to print a hard copy.
- Next, scroll down to the bottom section of the email and click on the “More” where you see options such as Reply, Reply to All, Forward and More.
- From the menu, hit the “Print” option.
- Simply print a hard copy of the desired email.
4.) Download Yahoo Mail from Gmail to Hard Drive
- In your Gmail account, click on your Picture and choose Account option from the menu.
- Next, click on the “Data Tools” tab and then on the “Select data to download” link.
- After that, select “Create an archive” button and click on the “Select all” option to deselect all items.
- Now, select the “Mail” option and hit “Create Archive” button.
- Then, select the option “Email me when the archive is ready”.
- Google will archive your data and send an email to you to download it.
- Once you receive the download email notification from Google, click on the download link and save the archive file to your computer.
5.) Back Up By Configuring POP Access in Yahoo Mail
To backup multiple emails from your Yahoo Mail, it is best to set up a POP Access to your Yahoo Mail account. For this, you will have to configure your Yahoo Mail account to a desktop email client like Microsoft Outlook. Here are the steps to do so:
1.) In your Outlook email program, select the File option and click on the Add Account option.
2.) Next, select Manual setup or additional server types option and hit Next.
3.) Then click on the POP or IMAP option and hit Next.
4.) After that, you will need to add information as prescribed below:
- Your Name: Enter your name
- Email Address: Your Yahoo Mail account’s email address.
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server:mail.yahoo.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP):mail.yahoo.com
- User Name: Your username
- Password: Your account’s password
5.) After that, open More Settings option and select the Outgoing server tab. Then select the checkbox next to these options:
- My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Use same settings as my incoming mail server
6.) Next, under the Advanced tab, you will need to enter the information as prescribed below:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587 or 465
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS or Auto
7.) Next, click OK > Next. A Test Account Settings window will appear on your screen. If the information entered gets verified successfully, you will see a Success message.
- Click on the Finish Your Yahoo Mail account will get configured to Outlook.
8.) Now, to back up emails from your Yahoo Mail account using Outlook, follow these steps
- On your Outlook program, Go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Click on the Export to a file option and hit Next.
- Then select Outlook Data File (.PST) option and hit Next.
- Select the folder where you wish to back up and click Next.
- Give a suitable title to the backup file.
- After that, click on the Finish button.
To Export Contacts Only
1.) In your Yahoo Mail account, click on the Contacts icon located on the left-hand side. You will be taken to the Contacts page.
2.) Under Contacts, select Action option located on the upper section. A drop-down menu will appear on your screen.
3.) Click on the Export option and select the format in which you want to export contacts. You can select CSV format if you are not sure as to which format to select.
5.) After that, click on the Export now button. All Yahoo Mail contacts will be exported to you desired your location in the format you selected.
6.) Now, go to your Gmail account and click on the Gmail option located on the top-left corner, just above COMPOSE button.
7.) Select Contacts option from the drop-down menu. A dialogue box will guide you to get to the Contacts page.
8.) Once you are in the Contacts page, click on the More option located on the left-hand side panel and select Import option. A box will appear on your screen.
9.) Select CSV or vCard file option from the list of options. This will open another box on your screen in which you will need to click on the GO TO OLD VERSION option.
10.) On the next screen, click on the More option located just below the search bar. Select Import from the menu and click on the Choose File button in the box that appears on your screen. After selecting the file, click on the Import button. Your Yahoo Mail contacts will get imported to your Gmail account.
So, these are the different possibilities of exporting your Yahoo Mail emails to Gmail and other locations.